Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Shoemaker/Collier Family: NV Mill (related) stories #1

"My Dad started at the mill right after the war in the fall of 1945.  He later became the manager and left in 1953.  I have many fond memories of being a little tyke and being down there and probably getting in the way." --Charlie Collier
Mabel & Elroyd Collier, parents of Charlie & Carolyn, c1946 in front of Harris Apartments, New Vienna Ohio.  Photo courtesy of Carolyn Collier Taubenheim.

First came the Shoemakers:

In 1800, Simon Shoemaker and his family moved from Virginia to the Singing Spring area [Highland County's Brushcreek Township] according to Daniel Scott's A History of the Early Settlement of Highland County, Ohio, page 64.

This move impacted Clinton County when 138 years and six generations later, a few of his many descendants began moving to New Vienna.  [Simon (1736-1820) > Samuel (1766-1837) > Simon (1793-1875) > Michael (1823-1895) > George M. (1859-1947) > Orva (1882-1964). Orva M. Shoemaker and his wife the former Mary K. Zile (1886-1952) had seven children, four of whom lived in/near New Vienna between 1937-2004.

Mary Blanche Shoemaker Hill (1908-2005) was born near Marshall in Highland County, Ohio and attended Marshall Public Schools.  She helped out on her family's farm until her marriage to Galen Hill on November 6, 1937.  They moved to New Vienna shortly thereafter, beginning the chapter of the Shoemaker/Colliers connection to New Vienna.  Galen was the New Vienna school custodian in the 1940s and took up house painting as a profession with the start of the new decade.  Unfortunately an accident involving a ladder and electrical wires resulted in his death in 1951.

The values of independence and self-reliance learned on the farm served her well after the death of Galen.  Use up, wear out, and make do became her creed.  An avid gardener, she could grow an amazing abundance of produce on a very small parcel of land, sometimes preparing the earth with only a spade.

Blanche took a job at the New Vienna locker in 1952 and worked there until her retirement. Blanche and Galen lived outside of town at first, on 73 near the Doyle Wright house and behind Lewis Bernard (who later married Dorothy Johnson, the teacher) on Antioch Rd.  They then moved into town, across from the bus barn, next to the Trenarys.  This would have been a convenient location for Galen's work as the school custodian included shoveling coal into the school furnace on Sundays so that the school would be warm on Monday morning.  Later Blanche moved downtown to Dr. Fullerton's place and then across the street to Dr. Hause's former office.  Her bedroom was where many of us had our teeth drilled.

[Picture of Blanche taken in 1981, Galen's picture in 1949, is from the New Vienna High School Memory Book, p. 71.

George Robert Shoemaker (1913-1984) and his wife Lella (Carrico 1906-1995) joined sister Blanche in New Vienna when George became manager at the Farmers Exchange Mill in the mid 1940s.  George and Lella had a son, George Clifford (1940-2007) who attended school in New Vienna until the family moved to Columbus in the late 1940s.
Elroyd Collier at New Vienna Ohio Mill c1950 - Image Courtesy of Carolyn Collier Taubenheim

Although George and Lella may have lived in a farmhouse in Highland County, Jane Selph Fauber, who also worked at the mill in the 1940s, remembers that Lella provided her with lunch after Charlie was born in 1947 and she rode with George to their house on the north side of Bernard Road.  She described it as a square brick house.  Prior to Charlie's birth, Mabel Collier had provided Jane with lunch.

Mabel Elizabeth Shoemaker Collier (1916-2004) was the third of the Shoemaker siblings to make New Vienna her home when she moved from Highland County as a newlywed with her husband Elroyd Elmo Collier (1915-2000).  Both were born in Highland County to farm families who made living off the land a way of life.

Times were hard when Elroyd graduated from Singing Spring High School (1934).  The Great Depression had a strangle hold on the nation, and jobs were scarce, so he joined the Civilian Conservation Corps.  In 1941 Elroyd joined the US Army and after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor he was shipped to the South Pacific where he spent 3.5 years, attaining the rank of Staff Sergeant.

Mabel attended Marshall Public Schools.  During the war, she continued working on the family farm until moving to Hillsboro to begin a job at the Hercules Trouser Company.  When Elroyd was honorably discharged in August, 1945, he returned home and he and Mabel were married on October 7, 1945, moving to New Vienna shortly afterward when Elroyd took a job at the Farmers Exchange Mill, also known as the New Vienna Mill, later replacing his brother-in-law, George Shoemaker, as manager.

Elroyd and Mabel had two children, Charles (born 1947) and Carolyn (1949).  In 1954, Elroyd was hired by the New Vienna Bank, later known as the NV Branch of the Clinton County National Bank and Trust Company.  Mabel was a homemaker and "Mom."  She also worked as a cook at the New Vienna Elementary School for several years.  Elroyd was the clerk of the Green Township trustees for 22 years.  He retired from the bank in 1980.

[Picture courtesy of Carolyn Collier Taubenheim, taken in 1978.]

Beryl Ruth Shoemaker (1918-2004) was born near Marshall in Highland County, Ohio.  At the age of four, in a defining moment of her life, she stepped on a rusty nail in her family's farm barnyard, developing blood poisoning.  The resulting surgery saved her life but resulted in a disability that she bravely coped with for the rest of her days.

Ruth attended Marshall Public Schools and later became a caregiver for her mother, who suffered from poor health, and then her elderly father.  In 1964 after her father died, Ruth moved to New Vienna to be near her sisters, Mabel Collier and Blanche Hill.  Her caregiving experience proved valuable and she cared for the children of several local families, including the Uibles, until her retirement.

In 1984, Ruth moved to Prairie View Apartments in Wilmington where she immensely enjoyed social activities and the camaraderie of friends until her death on December 18, 2004.

[Picture courtesy of Carolyn Collier Taubenheim, taken in 1980.]

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

June 15, 1939 New Vienna Reporter - Municipal Building Dedication

June 15, 1939 New Vienna Reporter, front page
Pictured: C.J. Uible, Dusty Miller, Mack Sauer, G.C. Wright, James R. West

Transcription:  These men will take part in the dedication ceremonies of the New Vienna municipal building Saturday afternoon at 3 o'clock.  G.C. Wright is general chairman.  Dusty Miller* will be the principal speaker.  Mack Sauer will make a talk.  C.J. Uible is the contractor who built the structure, and James R. West is the mayor of the village.

Avon Theatre Opened Thursday
Five Nights Weekly to be Open
NEW VIENNA – Last Wednesday evening when the doors of the Avon Theatre were opened for the first show, "Blondie," New Vienna was suggestive of Wilmington on New Years Eve at the Murphy.  The Theatre was filled with people for the first show.  Many were unable to obtain seats and waited for the second show, at which the house was again filled.  Ladies were presented with orchids.  For Friday night, when "The Hardys Ride High" was shown, the house was well filled.  In comparison with other movies, many movie fans are stating the Avon is equal to the best.

The theatre has a seating capacity of 280 and is equipped with latest type, comfortable seats.  Screen and equipment is the latest and most efficient.

J. Henry Davidson of Lynchburg, operates the Avon.  He also has theatres at Georgetown, Sardinia, Greenfield and Lynchburg.  K.R. Roberts is associated with him at Georgetown and Greenfield.

Millard Kessler is manager of the theatre.  He was for many years with Bell's Theatre at Hillsboro.

The theatre will be open Friday and Saturday, Sunday and Monday and on Wednesday for a 10¢ bargain night.

Dedication Program
New Vienna Municipal Building
Saturday, June 17, 3 p.m.
Avon Theatre
Band–Patriotic Number
Invocation–Rev. F.H. Smith
Introduction of Architect– C.W. Sullivan
Introduction of Contractor–C.J. Uible
Introduction of General Foreman–Vaughn Huffman
Introduction of President of Council–Dr. L.H. Fullerton
Talk–Mack Sauer
Grange Quartet–Ben Terrell, Lawrence Terrell, Carl West, Burdette Bernard
Address–Dusty Miller
Benediction–Rev. R.E. Linder
Inspection of Building

Fine Program Arranged; Dusty Miller to Speak
Municipal Structure Completed at Cost of Approximately $32000
NEW VIENNA– The new $32,000 municipal building will be dedicated Saturday afternoon with exercises being held in the auditorium.  G.C. Wright, chairman of the dedication committee will preside.

Dusty Miller will headline the program.  The New Vienna Band will furnish the music.  A complete program appears elsewhere on this page.
One of Finest in State
Without question, New Vienna can now boast of one of the finest municipal building to be found in any small town in Ohio.  It contains a theatre, room for U.S. Post office, mayor's office and council chambers and fire department headquarters.

The building is of brick and concrete and is fireproof throughout.  Construction was started October 7, 1938 by C.J. Uible, New Vienna contractor.  It has latest type indirect lighting system, hot water heating system, and asbestos tile floors in office rooms.  Venetian blinds are to be installed int he post office room and council chambers.
Located at Third and Main
The building stands on a lot 98 by 165 feet, at the corner of Third and Main streets.  Properties of Mae and Charles Nordyke and Stella Hunt were razed to make room for the structure.  The building is 63 by 100 feet.  A waterbound macadam street with curb and gutters is being laid around the back and south side of the building.

In short, nothing has been left undone that would add to the beauty and convenience.

Approximately 45% of the cost was given by the government as a P.W.A. project.  A bond issue was passed by the voters of New Vienna making the village's share possible.

Grunkemeyer and Sullivan and Associates of Cincinnati were architects on the building.  H.O. Townsley usually represented the firm.

Village officials are: James R. West, mayor; R.J. Rulon, clerk; Dr. L.H. Fullerton, president of council, Oscar Dennis, Fred Johnson, Carey Fox, and Clay Richard Clark, councilmen; Mrs. Marie Simkins, treasurer.

The dedication committee is composed of G. C. Wright, chairman, Willard Mongold, D.R. Smith, Dr. L.H. Fullerton, C.J. Uible, H.M. Phillips, and Mrs. Irene Gray.

*****  Other front page news:
Tonsils Removed
NEW VIENNA– Jane Selph [Fauber] daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Selph submitted to tonsillectomy last Thursday at the Dr. Waring hospital.  Dr. J.B.H. Waring, surgeon.  Dr. Charles W. Matthews, physician.

Improve Property
NEW VIENNA– Mrs. Bess Donohoo is improving the appearance of the exterior of the Monarch Restaurant by new paint.  Wilbur Huffman is doing the work.  Boyd Hardware furnished the paint.

Blanchester to Play Here
NEW VIENNA– New Vienna Cubs made it five straight over the tri county league opponents by beating Buford on their diamond Sunday 3-0.  Don "Conky" Conklin pitching a 2 hit ball one of them being the scratch variety.

In beating Blanchester 5-1, Lynchburg 9-0, Dodsonville 11-0, St. Martin 5-4 and Buford 3-0, Simkins won two 5-1 and 5-4, Conklin two 13-0 and 11-0 and Rollins one 11-0.  With Lefty Baugh pitching 1 hit ball the last four innings of the Dodsonville game, Manager Phillips has quie an array of pitchers who are capable of starting a game.

This Sunday a much improved Blanchester team will play on New Vienna's diamond with Conklin on the mound for New Vienna and Gray catching.  Carnahan will pitch for Blanchester.  Game time, 2:30.

*Thurman "Dusty" Miller (1881-1977) of Wilmington, born in Highland County, was a nationally known editor and speaker.  He owned several newspapers including the New Vienna Reporter and also taught school at one time in both Highland and Clinton County.  Whether he owned the New Vienna Reporter at the time of this article (1939) is unknown.

Cecil Uible 1883-1969
Gurney C. Wright 1882-1964 Funeral Director
Mack Sauer 1896-1960
James R. West 1880-1958
Don Conklin 1913-1975
John Henry Davidson 1908-2001 Avon Theatre Operator
Kibler R. Roberts 1906-1984 Associate Theatre Operator
Jane Selph Fauber, whose tonsils earned her front page status, may be the only person mentioned on this page still living. The baseball players are hard to identify without first names.

James R. West (1880-1958), was mayor 1932-1943, preceded by D. C. Bond in 1931 and followed by Harry L. Carey 1943-1945. West was opposed to the new municipal building and served as Chairman of The Citizens Committee opposing the bond issue. See blog post – Voter Pamphlet Against the Municipal Building.

Fred G. Johnson (~1881-1961?, NVHS 1895) - 1930 census, living with his parents Wavious (?) J. (~1856-?) and Ella (~1860-?) Johnson on Laymon Road, occupation auto supplies salesman. He must have moved into NV, in order to be on the council?  Or it could have been a different Fred Johnson.  John and Linda Levo's great-grandfather, Fred S. Johnson 1855-1938, died a year prior to this event so it's doubtful he would have been considered a member of the Council.

Robert Joseph Rulon 1887-1967, lived on Church St. in 1930 and was employed as school janitor, married to Abigail, father of William, Curtis, Alberta, Paul, Janet, +

Dr. L.H. Fullerton, 1905-1979, lived on 2nd St., near school in 1930 with wife, Elsie, and baby Marguerite. His wife, Elsie Staubus Fullerton, died in 1994, she was related to the Bernards.  Later in the 1930s he had an addition built on to the front of the house to the east of the new Municipal building for his office and lived in the rear part.  Patients had to climb a high set of stairs to reach the office.  In the 1950s he moved his office into the then new medical building on 3rd Street south of the Municipal building and built a new house east of NV on SR-28.

Oscar R. Dennis, 1880-?, lived on Main St. in 1930 with daughter Hilda Cade and baby grandson, Robert M. Cade. His occupation is listed as Real Estate Broker.

Carey W. Fox 1877-?, lived on Main St. in 1930 with extended family. Carey's occupation is listed as garage mechanic.

Clay Richard "Dick" Clark 1902-1982 (NVHS 1921), in 1930 he, his wife Gertrude and son, Jacque, are listed as living on "Vienna Valley Road" near then baby Harold Thornburg and his parents, so perhaps that is now Thornburg Road. He was later the manager of the Farm Bureau and Gertrude owned Clark Clothing Store in New Vienna. In 1930 his occupation is listed as farm laborer.

(Etta) Marie Simkins 1894-?, lived on corner of College & 2nd Sts, mother of Eloise and Fred Allen Simkins. She was a widow and her occupation in 1930 is listed as dressmaker.

Others on Dedication Committee:
Willard [R.W.] "Shorty" Mongold, 1898-1975. In 1930 he and his family lived on Main St., and he was employed as a drill factory machinist. He founded (?) Southern Ohio Tool & Die, and was a good friend of C.J. Uible and was the main reason the Uibles moved to New Vienna in 1927. Picture of him and clipping about Southern Ohio Tool Co. at this link.

D.R. Smith, owned gas station on corner of SR-73 and SR-28, which is now Shell. He sold this service station lot for big $ per HH, invested the money in property in Florida, and then lost it during a real estate bust. His wife was active in the pro-library movement of the NV Women's Club in the late 1930s.

Harley Martin "H.M." Phillips 1880-1960, owner of clothing store where Bill Holmes worked, lived on Main Street in 1930.

Mrs. Irene Gray 1884-1974 lived on West St. in 1930. Her husband, Burl, was a Veterinarian. In 1930 they had three children: Louis, Lane [or Zane? NVHS'38] and Marjorie (NVHS'40).  Marjorie later married Ernie Sullivan and ran "Good Deal" Realty in New Vienna.  According to HH, Marjorie was likable but a bit ditzy, and was famous for burning her Christmas tree in the street (SR-73 just north of Christian Church) in front of her house on New Years Day.