Wednesday, September 19, 2012

1942, 1952 September news from Hillsboro paper

New Vienna related news as reported in the Press Gazette (Hillsboro, Ohio) from September 1942 and 1952.

Sept. 4, 1942 - Obituary for Isabel Jane Barr Southerland, 87 died at her home in New Vienna, following an illness of three months.  Surviving are three sons and four daughters, Charles S. Southerland of Norwood, Elmer, Glenn (NVHS'17) and Mrs. James H. (Myrtle) Achor of New Vienna; Mrs. Charles (Bertha) I. Smith, of Greenfield; Mrs. H. A. (Cecil NVHS '10) Clark, of Northside, and Mrs. Walter S. (Ida Pauline NVHS '17) Simkins of Queen City; a brother, Samuel A. Barr and a sister, Mrs. Ida Barr Stout, both of Greenfield.

Sept. 18, 1942 - Obituary for Cary E. Deck [NVHS 1894], 67, former mayor of New Vienna, who died Sept. 15 at the home of his daughter, Mrs. H. N. Danner [Ina May NVHS'23] in Mariemont.  He resided in New Vienna most of his life until 1930.  He is survived by his widow and three daughters, Mrs. Danner, Mrs. Delbert Lacy [Vivian NVHS'21] and Miss Dora Deck [Dorothy? NVHS '27], Cincinnati.  Mr. Deck was mayor of New Vienna 1922-1926.

Sept. 2, 1952 - New Vienna Packing Company was issued a six-month permit granting waste and sewage discharge by the Ohio Water Pollution Control Board.

Sept. 5, 1952 - 2.5 acres and new home near New Vienna, 6 room house unfinished.  Asking $6500.

Sept. 9, 1952 - Sheep Competition at Highland County Fair - Donald Bernard [NVHS'38] first in Southdowns Aged ram, First in Yearling ram, Second in Ram lamb, First in Aged ewe and Yearling ewe, First in Ewe lamb and first in Best Pen.  Robert Bernard [NVHS'34], also of New Vienna, came in second in many of the same categories.

Sept. 12, 1952 - Marriage License for David Blackburn [NVHS'49] and Esther Groom.

Sept. 12, 1952 - Martha Dunlap of Hillsboro, will offer tap dancing classes in New Vienna.

Sept. 16, 1952 - Duplex in New Vienna on State Highway for sale, 5 rooms on one side, six rooms on the other, each renting for $70/month.  Very low priced at only $5500.

Sept. 16, 1952 - Pvt. Hugh W. Heizer [NVHS'50] goes to Camp Rucker in Alabama for basic training.  He is the son of Mrs. Wendell Trenary of New Vienna.

Sept. 19, 1952 - W.T. Creamer, Wilmington, part owner and operator of the New Vienna Packing Co., said that their pack was larger than last year's in spite of the drought damage to early corn.  The New Vienna plant closed Sept. 15.

Sept. 26, 1952 - The Rhoads family has a reunion at the Snow Hill roadside park, near New Vienna.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

1942 NV Oil Supply Co. Auction - Sept. 15

What later became Mongold Oil Co. and Mongold Filling Station was sold at auction on September 15, 1942, due to illness of then owner, Mr. P.B. Mills.  A few more current, but still historic pictures included below.
1942 (what became) Mongold Oil Co. Property - Hillsboro Press Gazette Sept. 11, 1942
Pure [Mongold] Gas Station c1945 - New Vienna OH
Old Bulk Tanks behind Mongold Oil Company on Main St., New Vienna Ohio 1950s
Mongold Office building New Vienna Ohio c1965 Image courtesy of Mike Whited.

The following was originally posted to the Uible Family Blog on March 25, 2011:

Mongold Oil Company - New Vienna Ohio

CJ Uible had a financial interest in this business which was run by 
Rollo Mongold during the mid-1900s.

According to Rollo Earl Mongold (1907-1989) of Lynchburg, was the son of Frannie F. Mongold (1877-1948) and Ina Viola Sanderson (1881-1911). He was married to Louella Davis (1917-1990) and Mary Alice Whitford (1909-1963) and had four children with the latter, including Margaret Joanne Pfister of Lynchburg (1930-2006), Mary K. Workman of Milford, and Thomas Mongold of Wilmington.

Rollo also had three older brothers, Robert Willard "Shorty" (1898-1975), Roy David (1900-1986) and Harold (1905-1983).   The brothers grew up in Dayton but moved to the New Vienna area and opened businesses in the 1940s.  Harold had a General Store in Westboro and Roy had a grocery store in Martinsville.

R.W. (or Shorty), the only brother who lived in New Vienna, had three children, Jack Willard (1919-2000, NVHS '37), Dorothy Garrison (1922-2009, NVHS '42) and James Paul (1927-1990, NVHS '47).  He was a good friend of CJ Uible, and his Southern Ohio Tool & Die Co.'s manufacturing of farm gates, was instrumental in CJ's settling with his family in New Vienna in the 1920s.

HH adds that by the mid-1900s most farmers switched from livestock production to grain farming, and the need for farm gates greatly diminished. Southern Ohio Tool & Die eventually ceased operations at the location on Railroad Avenue which was demolished in an expansion at Wells, but later operated out of the building to the south of Kenny Williams gas station.

Cheryl Cluxton Mongold adds:  Rollo Mongold, Bob's great uncle bought the Oil Company and Bob's Dad, Robert W. Mongold, son of Roy, bought the Gas station which he sold to Kenny Davis in 1968.  Fibber Knauff bought Mongold Oil from Rollo, and then later sold it to someone else, possibly Lee Bartley.

More on Shorty Mongold's Southern Tool & Die Company can be found in this article: Your Town:  New Vienna Ohio: Southern Ohio Tool & Die.