Saturday, January 19, 2013

1953 Hillyard Farm - Paul Terrell Family home

Second in a series of articles about The New Vienna Pilgrimage of Old Houses continues in spring 1953.  Transcription follows.
Captioned:  This fine old desk, circa 1700, stands in the dining room of the Terrell residence, Hillyard Farm, and is one of the many pieces of elegance and charm housed there.  (News-Journal Photo).

New Vienna Pilgrimage of Old Houses – 
[From the Wilmington News-Journal, Spring 1953 – copied from an undated clipping at the Clinton County Historical Society.]
Hillyard Farm Rich in Old Furniture
Terrell Family Has Owned House for 40 Years

(Editors Note: The New Vienna Pilgrimage of old houses will open the county’s observance of Ohio’s sesquicentennial and will be held June 6 and 7 [1953].  The owners of the houses have written the histories of their properties and told some of the interesting architectural points and the furnishings and other pieces which they contain.  Proceeds of the ticket sale for the pilgrimage will go to the Clinton County Historical Society.  The following is the story of the Paul Terrell residence.)

Hillyard Farm located one mile northeast of New Vienna on the highest elevation in Clinton county (1,197 feet), has been in possession of the Terrell family for 40 years, having been purchased from the Posegate family who had owned it nearly a century.  The original deeds are not recorded, but it is mentioned in one deed that the Posegate family purchased at least part of the land from the Clevenger family, who with Abner and Morgan Van Meter were considered to be the earliest settlers of this county.

Earliest records available state that Abner Van Meter and S. Clevenger resided on this land.  There have been at least three other houses on this farm as evidenced by the broken chimney brick, glass and chinaware.

An overflowing spring located at present within the farm pond, was used by wild animals as a source of water and they in turn were used for food by Indian bands.  This fact is proven by the large numbers of arrowheads and other stone implements which have been found around this area from time to time.  Many of these Indian relics are in perfect condition.

This house, like many others, is a combination of the old and the more modern.  The old Posegate house was L-shaped and the L has been filled in to make a square.  The two front rooms and the dining room are the original parts of the house.

*  * *
THE HOME is furnished with several antiques, a number of which are family heirlooms.  In this group will be found a grandfather clock which has been in the family for five generations.  It was first known to be a wall - sweep, having later been put in its present case.  The case for this clock and a large bookcase also in the home were both made out of walnut logs taken from the first Friends meeting house which stood just north of New Vienna.  The land and logs for this meeting house were donated by Micajah Nordyke, the great-great-grandfather of the present owner of the clock.  Nordyke came to Ohio from Tennessee in 1806.

Several other pieces which will be of interest to antique-lovers include chairs, drop leaf tables, chests, cherry china cabinet, four-poster bed, and an inlaid desk which several competent judges have declared to be a choice piece of early furniture.

In addition to the various pieces and furnishings to be seen at any time at Hillyard Farm there will be two collections loaned for the occasion and of surpassing interest.  Mrs. Robert Metcalf of Columbus, will bring her collection of fans to be on display Sunday.  Mrs. Frances Dobbs, of Indianapolis, will bring her collection of old and unusual ink wells and they may be seen on both days of the pilgrimage.

The following will be hostesses:  Mrs. Harold [Garnet] Fisher, Mrs. Charles [Virginia] Hildebrant, Mrs. Elmer [Eva?] Southerland, Mrs. Howard [Hazel] Penn, Miss Geneva Johnson, Mrs. Arthur McCoy [Eva] and Miss Janet Terrell, daughter in the family.  

* * * * *
Another house in the New Vienna Pilgrimage of Old Houses was posted under "Historic Hause House, built 1874," and featured a picture of Charlotte Pugsley Hause.  The Hause article, about the house on Bernard Road near Huffman Ave. could have been titled differently.  The house was owned by the Hines family from 1874-1917, the Elmer Pages 1917-1942, Wilbur Huffmans 1942-1952, and the Hauses in the 1950s.

Other houses part of the 1953 New Vienna Pilgrimage of Old Houses yet to be featured include:

  • Carl West Colonial House built 1850 
  • T.H. Swingley House built 1837
  • Brown Home, possibly built by Isaac Woodmansee c1840
  • Charles Blackburn House built 1838
  • Christy Home, Panhandle Road, c1850

No comments:

Post a Comment