"Few Fields," located two miles southeast of New Vienna on Pan Handle [sic] road or what was once known as the Hillsboro and New Vienna turnpike, is one of the old landmarks of this community. It was the original home of Dr. A. T. Johnson who started his practice at New Vienna in 1859.
In 1862 he was appointed by Gov. Todd, surgeon of the 48th Ohio Volunteer Infantry in which he served with great distinction. Upon his return he resumed his practice in New Vienna until his death here in 1887.
A few years later the farm was transferred to Walter J. Bates who in turn transferred it to John A. Murry [Murray was Bates' wife's maiden name, she had a brother named John] in 1915. It was purchased by its present owner, Parley F. Christy [1900-1992], a former architect of Cincinnati, in March, 1937. In 1946 the Christy's restored and remodeled the house to its present state.
The house is of the old conventional frame construction, hand [page torn] and corner posts held together by the use of pegs and wrought iron nails. Materials used were oak, walnut and poplar extensively.
All panes in the original windows are the old hand blown glass which are far from the modern thermopanes of today but perhaps more interesting to look through because of the many distorted shapes into which objects can be turned.
The plan of the house was of the early American center hall type with fire places and a basket type grate for heating facilities. The kitchen fireplace was restored and equipped with a new mantel, crane and woodbox of early American design and is located in a paneled wall opposite the modern kitchen working facilities.
The original light fixtures which are of the ceiling pull-down, kerosene type with the hobnail glass domes and brass ornamentation were converted to electric.
The old grandfather's clock that embellishes the wall of the early American furnished dining room is truly an Ohio antique since it was in Mrs. Christy's side of the family for 150 years and in its present location is now only a few miles from its original home. It was purchased by Mrs. Christy's great-great-great-grandfather Thomas Wright in the year 1813. He lived near the Mt. Auburn vicinity.
Lending "Few Fields" a weathered and mellow look are the six large maple trees and the one huge elm that with the house have withstood the storms of many hears gone by.
Hostesses during the pilgrimage will be Mrs. Vinton Wolfe [Leone Hack Wolfe 1908-2000], Mrs. Lou Dever, Mrs. Frank Cunningham and Mrs. Delbert West.
* * * * *
Houses in the 1953 New Vienna Pilgrimage of Old Houses include:
- Elmer Page-Wilbur Huffman-Hause House on Bernard Rd – built 1874
- Hillyard Farm - Paul Terrell Family Home on Bernard Rd
- Swingley House on SR-73 - Built 1853 (or 1836?)
- Carl West Colonial House built 1850
- Brown Home, possibly built by Isaac Woodmansee c1840
- Christy Home, Panhandle Road, c1850
- Charles Blackburn House built 1838